Home page | Official Irish Rugby

...Aidan Wynne formerly of Blackrock College now togging out for Buccaneers...

Stradbrook was the place to be on Saturday if you are a club rugby follower as Blackrock College and Galwegians shared out a mammoth eleven tries in the hunt for Division One points.

Galwegians' attacking verve has taken a while to come to fruition under coach Paul Young, the former Dragons and Wales hooker. 'Wegians finished a disappointing 14th last season, but with their newly registered players - 17 in all - already impressing, they could yet to be darkhorses for the play-offs.

With four of their final five league games at home at Crowley Park, they could yet have a say in the destination of the title. Still, it is only two wins from five and Young is streetwise enough to not get carried away with the weekend's seven-try 47-32 defeat of 'Rock.

'Wegians went try crazy to secure what was incredibly their fifth AIB League win in five visits to Stradbrook.

Even without their top try scorer Conor McPhillips, who was on Magners League duty with Connacht, they ran in seven tries with out-half and man-of-the-match David Slemen tallying up 17 points.

Team captain Ambrose Conboy got the try count up and running while Anthony Barrett, Kieran Hickman and Ross Davies all crossed for a 27-13 'Wegians lead at half-time.

The hosts did well to hit back to earn a losing bonus point - David Rowan, Andy O'Neill and Michael Berne all touched down in the second half - but tries from Colin Nbongwa, the sparky South African winger, John Cleary and Slemen completed the visitors' tally.

...Back at the Top...

There was no end to Belfast Harlequins' league misery at Dooradoyle as they slumped to their fifth defeat of the campaign. Garryowen went from third to first in the table, thanks to a 17-0 success, what was their fourth win five league games.

Seeking revenge for their defeat in the 2004/05 play-off semi-final, Garryowen muscled into a 14-0 half-time lead, with a try apiece from hooker Damien Varley and winger Kevin O'Riordan. Varley was mauled over midway through the half and the lively O'Riordan sliced through the Quins defence in injury-time. Conor Kilroy converted both tries and tagged on a second half penalty.

On the back pitch at headquarters, Lansdowne battled back from a half-time deficit to end a run of four home defeats to Ballymena in league competition.

Second half tries from prop John Lyne and Kiwi out-half Mana Ashford helped the headquarters side to a 20-13 victory, which pushed them up to fifth in the table.

They initially went 10-0 ahead thanks to Greg Stafford's 17th-minute try and five points from the boot of Robbie Dolan. But Ballymena, who dominated the second quarter, bounced back with prop Pat Steenkamp and centre Peter Budina registering tries. The second half was a scrappy affair but Lyne's 44th-minute score from a rolling maul was telling.

At Lakelands, Fergus McFadden grabbed a personal haul of 18 points as UCD finally secured their first win of the league campaign - a 28-22 defeat of Terenure College.

McFadden, the Ireland Under-21 centre, scored a try, two conversions and three penalties to help College break their duck. Terenure, thanks to tries from hooker Kevin Mahony and out-half Shane Cullen, led 12-11 at the interval.

Two McFadden penalties pushed UCD back in front before the sides swapped four tries in the closing half-hour. Flanker Conor Connolly and hooker James Blaney crossed for Nure, while the visitors counted on a controversial penalty try, which saw the hosts dropping a maul close to their line, and McFadden's effort.

Meanwhile, UL Bohemians missed out on a chance to reclaim pole position in Division One as they lost 11-8 to Cork Constitution at Thomond Park.

This was only the sides' third ever league meeting and Con have won all three - this victory moved them up to third in the table.

Scrum half Peter McKee scampered over early on - notching his third try in the space of a week - to hand Con an 8-0 buffer for the second half. Winger Richie Lane booted his second penalty to move Con 11-0 ahead. Bohs replied with a try from winger Ian Hanly and a Ben Martin penalty.

Buccaneers had teenage out-half Aidan Wynne to thank for their first home win of the league campaign. They dismissed Dungannon 19-14 at Dubarry Park.

Former Blackrock College student Wynne scored an electrifying 61st-minute try to help move Buccs up to twelfth in the table. Backed by the breeze, Tommy Cregan hit over two penalties to hand the home side a 6-5 interval lead. Dungannon's Richard McCarter cut through for an 18th-minute try.

A lineout steal and two quick passes allowed Wynne the time and space to cut past past three men to score and push Buccs 13-5 ahead. Gannon bagged a losing bonus point as Adam Larkin slotted three second half penalties.

Clontarf leapfrogged Dolphin in the table as they got the better of the Corkmen, winning 18-9 at Musgrave Park.

Tarf scored a try in each half to go sixth in the standings - lock John Duffy and replacement hooker Bernard Jackman were both on target.

Dolphin suffered a massive blow when their Munster number eight James Coughlan was forced off on 34 minutes with a shoulder injury.

Duffy's try had the visitors 7-6 in front at the break and although Dolphin, with Barry Keeshan kicking three penalties, played well into the wind in the second half, there was no sign of a comeback.

Fixtures & Events


19 June 2018
No events scheduled


A guide to concussion in rugby union
Club Rugby

Club Rugby

Club & Community Rugby
No ALT tag specified